Radhika K P, Bhuvaneshwari D
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Radhika K P1, Bhuvaneshwari D2
1Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore - 641004, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore - 641004, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
COVID-19 pandemic triggered the outbreak of unemployment and insecurity particularly to the migrant workers in the unorganized sector of India. Short-term migration was an important feature of the Indian labor force due to the dependence on the informal sector for employment on a large scale. The nationwide lockdown left shock waves to the mass of migrant workers, who went jobless and devoid of social security benefits. In this background, this study is an attempt to emphasize the creative social work responses by way of immediate relief measures and Government schemes, in safeguarding the unorganized migrant workers. Further, the study suggested the development of an inclusive model for ensuring sustained livelihood patterns by creating job opportunities in the organized sector. This calls for structural reforms in the labor market to reduce the density of migration in search of employment and income and to create balanced regional development.
Cite this article:
Radhika K P, Bhuvaneshwari D. COVID-19 and the Unorganized Migrant Workers of India – The Social Work Response. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(3):125-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00021
Radhika K P, Bhuvaneshwari D. COVID-19 and the Unorganized Migrant Workers of India – The Social Work Response. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(3):125-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00021 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-3-1
1. Azeez EP, A., Negi, D. P., Rani, A., and amp; AP, S. K. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on migrant women workers in India. Eurasian Geography and Economics, 62(1), 93-112.
2. Barhate, B., Hirudayaraj, M., Gunasekara, N., Ibrahim, G., Alizadeh, A., and amp; Abadi, M. (2021). Crisis within a crisis: Migrant workers’ predicament during COVID-19 lockdown and the role of non-profit organizations in India. Indian Journal of Human Development, 15(1), 151-164.
3. Bhalerao, K., Patil, V., and Swamy, S. (2022). Impact of COVID 19 on small and medium enterprises. Asian Journal of Management, 13(2), 115-119.
4. Bhardwaj, S., and Tanwar, S. (2022). Pandemic and Post Pandemic Impact on Business. Asian Journal of Management, 13(1), 85-88.
5. Biswas, D., and Bathla, P. (2022). A Study on relationship between unemployment and rise of the Gig Economy. Asian Journal of Management, 13(1), 77-84.
6. Choudhari, R. (2020). COVID 19 pandemic: Mental health challenges of internal migrant workers of India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 54, 102254.
7. Deshingkar, P., Akter, S., (2009). Migration and Human Development in India. United Nations Development Programme: Human Development Research Paper (13), revised April 2009.
8. Gajpal, R., and Gajpal, L. S. (2018). Migration of Rural Agricultural Labor and its impact on Children. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences, 6(4), 495-498.
9. Kanade, A. B., and Shinde, A. C. (2021). A Study to assess the problems faced by the farmers due to covid-19 from the selected areas. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research, 9(2), 137-140.
10. Menon, S. F., and Bhagat, V. (2021). Review of the impact Covid-19 has on the Psychosocial factors affecting Well-Being. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 14(6), 3404-3408.
11. Michael, C. (2021). Psychological impact on people Due to Pandemic of Covid-19 in selected Areas of Mumbai. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research, 11(4), 541-551.
12. Rajput, Y. K., and Agrawal, S. (2019). Role of Small Scale Industries in Eradication of Unemployment and Poverty. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences, 7(2), 376-378.
13. Srivastava, A., Meena, A. K., Srivastava, K., Gupta, V., and Kaushal, K. (2020). Socio Economic Impact of COVID-A Review. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 13(6), 497-501.
14. Wankhede, D. K. (2020). COVID-19-Problem faced by Indians during lockdown. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research, 10(4), 501-504.
15. A long look at exactly why and how India failed its migrant workers (May 2020). Retrieved from https://thewire.in/labour/lockdown-migrant-workers-policy-analysis. Retrieved on May 2020. The Wire.
16. Companies go all out to get back migrant workers (Jun 2020). Retrieved from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/cos-go-all-out-to-get-back-migrant-workers/articleshow/76538895.cms. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Times of India.
17. Coronavirus lockdown: How to keep 130 million migrant workers afloat during COVID-19 crisis (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.businesstoday.in/opinion/columns/coronavirus-lockdown-130-million-migrant-workers-afloat-covid-19-crisis-unorganised-sector/story/400806.html. Retrieved on May 2020. Business Today.
18. COVID-19 - An opportunity to shift the focus from megacities to small towns (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/economy/wield -the-magic-wand-to-trigger-demand-5325511.html, Retrieved on May 2020. Moneycontrol.com
19. COVID-19 India (2020). Retrieved from https://www.mohfw.gov.in/. Retrieved on May 2020. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India.
20. COVID-19 lockdown estimated to cost India $4.5 billion a day: Acuité Ratings (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/covid-19-lockdown-estimated-to-cost-india-45-billion-a-day-acuit-ratings/article31235264.ece. Retrieved on May 2020. BusinessLine.
21. COVID-19: Famous photographers support Indian migrant-workers (May 2020). Retrieved from https://unric.org/en/covid-19-famous-photographers-support-indian-migrant-workers/. Retrieved on Jul 2020. United Nations: Regional information Centre for Western Europe.
22. Farah Khan and Chef Vikas Khanna donate over 40,000 sanitary pads to migrant women (May 2020). Retrieved from https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/bollywood-news/farah-khan-and-vikas-khanna-donate-sanitary-pads-to-migrant-women.html. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Republic World.
23. Government issues guidelines for movement of migrant workers within states (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.bloombergquint.com/coronavirus-outbreak/migrant-labourers-to-be-allowed-to-move-within-state-during-lockdown-with-conditions. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Bloomberg Quint.
24. Govt has committed all support to migrant workers during lockdown: Amit Shah (Mar 2020). Retrieved from https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/govt-committed-support-migrant-workers-lockdown-amit-shah-1660831-2020-03-29. Retrieved on Jul 2020. India Today.
25. How American companies like Google, Uber are helping India fight COVID-19 (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/how-american-companies-like-google-uber-are-helping-india-fight-covid-19-11587012627499.html. Retrieved on Jul 2020. LiveMint.
26. How citizens are helping migrants stranded by the coronavirus lockdown (May 2020). Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/express-sunday-eye/citizens-helping-migrants-stranded-coronavirus-lockdown-6412617/. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Indian Express.
27. India inc in lockdown mode: Corporate India beginning to feel the impact (Mar 2020). Retrieved from https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/india-inc-in-lockdown-mode-corporate-india-beginning-to-feel-the-impact/1908308/. Retrieved on May 2020. Financial Express.
28. India’s first coronavirus death confirmed in Karnataka (Mar 2020). Retrieved from https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/man-suspected-of-coronavirus-dies-after-returning-from-saudi-arabia/articleshow/74574771.cms. Retrieved on May 2020. The Economic Times.
29. List of NGOs providing relief during COVID-19 (May 2020). Retrieved from https://www.investindia.gov.in/bip/resources/list-ngos-providing-relief-during-covid-19. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Invest India.
30. Modi orders 3-week total lockdown for all 1.3 billion Indians (Mar 2020). Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/world/asia/india-coronavirus-lockdown. html . Retrieved on May 2020. The New York Times.
31. Pattanaik, B. K. (2009). Young migrant construction workers in the unorganised urban sector. South Asia Research, 29(1), 19-40.
32. Schwing Stetter India provides support to migrant workers amidst Covid-19 lockdown (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ companies/schwing-stetter-india-provides-support-to-migrant-workers-amidst-covid-19-lockdown/article31423284.ece. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Business Line.
33. Sonu Sood: ‘Migrant workers built our homes; I couldn’t watch them being homeless’ (May 2020). Retrieved from https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/sonu-sood-migrant-workers-built-our-homes-i-couldnt-watch-them-being-homeless/article31685826.ece. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Hindu.
34. Two NGOs come together in Chennai to help families in need with groceries (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/two-ngos-come-together-in-chennai-to-help-families-in-need-with-groceries/article31460788.ece. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Hindu.
35. Unemployment rate improves to 21% from last week’s 26% (Apr 2020). Retrieved from https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/indicators/unemployment-rate-improves-to-21-1-from-last-weeks-26/articleshow/75437330.cms. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Economics Times.
36. Voluntary groups help migrant labourers in their efforts to get back home (May 2020). Retrieved from https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/voluntary-groups-help-migrant-labourers-in-their-efforts-to-get-back-home/article31676572.ece. Retrieved on Jul 2020. The Hindu.
37. Why India’s migrants walked backed home (May 2020). Retrieved from https://www.livemint.com/news/india/why-india-migrants-walked-back-home-11590564390171.html. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Livemint.com.
38. Women in Varanasi extended a helping hand to migrant workers, villagers affected by COVID-19 pandemic (n.d.). Retrieved from https://dst.gov.in/women-varanasi-extended-helping-hand-migrant-workers-villagers-affected-covid-19-pandemic. Retrieved on Jul 2020. Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.