Krishnali Garje, Sukanya Gaikwad
Krishnali Garje1, Sukanya Gaikwad2
1Clinical Instructor, Gokhale Education Society’s, Dr. M.S. Gosavi Institute of Nursing Education, Training and Research Nashik, Maharashtra, India.
2Clinical Instructor, Gokhale Education Society’s Dr. M. S. Gosavi Institute of Nursing Education, Training and Research Nashik, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Elder abuse is a general term used to describe harmful treatment to ward an elderly person. This includes physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, financial exploitation and neglect. Elder abuse is a global public health and human rights problem that is predicted to increase as many countries experience a rapid growth in their population of older adults. Elder abuse undermines an older person's well-being and is associated with range of serious health consequences. Elder abuse is recognised worldwide as a serious problem yet quantitative syntheses of prevalence studies are rare. We aimed to quantify and understand prevalence variation at the global and regional levels. In pooled logistic regression, age, race, poverty, functional disability, and cognitive impairment were identified as risk factors for reported elder mistreatment. Additionally, the onset of new cognitive impairment was also associated with elder abuse and neglect. Because the mechanism of elder mistreatment case-finding in this study was a social welfare system protective services, the influence of race and poverty as risk factors is likely to be overestimated due to reporting bias. Elder mistreatment is now recognized internationally as a pervasive and growing problem, urgently requiring the attention of health care systems, social welfare agencies, policymakers, and the general public. In this article, we provide an overview of global issues in the field of elder abuse, with a focus on prevention.
Cite this article:
Krishnali Garje, Sukanya Gaikwad. Elder Abuse – A Review. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(3):208-0. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00033
Krishnali Garje, Sukanya Gaikwad. Elder Abuse – A Review. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(3):208-0. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00033 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-3-13
1. Dr. T. Vasundhara Tulasi, Dr. G. Gnana Prasuna “Community Health Nursing”, second edition, Frontline publication, page no, 380-382.
2. Bijayalaskhmi Dash “A Comprehensive Textbook of Community Health Nursing”, Jaypee publication, page no 643- 645.
3. G. Gnana prasuna “Community Health Nursing”, frontline publication, page no 580- 583
5. Elder Abuse: Global Situation, Risk Factors, and Prevention Strategies. Pillmer K, Burnes D, Riffin C, Lachs M. The Gerontologist. 2016; 56(2); 194-205. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26994260/
6. Anja Botngård A. [Internet]. 2022 [cited 10 January 2022];. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31900138/
7. Yongjie Yon Y. [Internet]. 2022 [cited 10 January 2022];. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28104184/
8. M S Lachs M. [Internet]. 2022 [cited 10 January 2022];. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9279035/