This paper tries to highlight the important position played by nationalist and religious sentiments in shaping Mizo identity. Religious nationalism contributes to the relationship between nationalism to a particular religious belief, dogma or affiliation. The mingling of nationalist feeling with religion is not a new phenomenon. Much before the British had arrived in Lushai Hills, the seed of nationalist perception had already sprouted among the Mizo. British introduced a new king of beliefs ‘Christianity’ through the Missionaries that received great resistance from native people. When India was at the verse of independence Christianity acquired an indispensable component of Mizo culture and ethnic identity. The Mizo National Army rebelled against Indian Government to protect their cultural, traditional, language and religious beliefs which they considered a part and parcel of the Mizo identity. Even after experiencing peace for over 30 year, religious nationalism continues to gain ever increasing momentum among the Mizo.
Cite this article:
Lalmuana Guite. National and Religious Identity of the Mizo with Special Reference to Mizoram Insurgency. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2020; 11(4):355-360. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2020.00056.X
Lalmuana Guite. National and Religious Identity of the Mizo with Special Reference to Mizoram Insurgency. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2020; 11(4):355-360. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2020.00056.X Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-4-15
1. Rev. C.L Hminga – interviewed in 2016 at Ram Zotlang, Lunglei. Mizoram.
2. See-https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331951102_IMPACT_ OF_INSURGENCY_IN_MIZORAM_WITH_SPECIAL_REFERENCE_TO_THE_SIXTH_SCHEDULE_AREA accessed on 24.7.2020
3. See-http://mizoram.nic.in/about/history.htm accessed on 24.7.2020
4. Rev. Lalngurauva interviewed in 2016 at Mission Veng, Aizawl. Mizoram
5. See-https://www.eastmojo.com/news/2018/11/20/mizoram-how-the-church-calls-the-shots-during-state-elections accessed on 27.7.2020
6. C. Hermana. “ZoramBuai Lai Khan”. Published by C. Hermana, 2015. Aizawl,p.115
7. See-http://mattersindia.com/2017/03/mizoram-observes-first-christian-missionarys-arrival/ access on 12.02.2020
8. See-https://books.google.co.in/books?id=Gp Nw Heu Of To C & pg = PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=bawlpu+and+sadawt&source=bl&ots=kZJuIV1B3r&sig=ACfU3U1wl6iCfnqqwFQLEblGNrlXEZ-Taw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZmdjX-aboAhWWyjgGHWagBcYQ6AEwBHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=bawlpu%20and%20sadawt&f=false access on 12.02.2020
9. See-https://www.halfandone.com/2019/07/who-is-a-mizo/ access on 14/10/2019 access on 12.02.2020
10. See-https://www.mizobaptist.org/education-department/ access on 12.02.2020
11. See-https://garph.co.uk/ IJARMSS/Oct2016/1.pdf accessed on 27.7.2020
12. See - http://18.104.22.168:8080/jspui/bitstream/10603/60417/10/10_ chapter%203.pdf accessed on 24.7.2020
13. P. Lalnithanga IAS (Retd). “Emergence of Mizoram”. Published by P. Lalnithanga, 2005. Aizawl,p.6
14. See- https://mizoarchive.wordpress.com/2015/12/04/zoluti-mary-winchester-chanchin-ama-ziah/ access on 12.02.2020
15. R. Vanlawma. “Ka Ram Leh Kei (My Country and I)”. Published by M.C. LalnithangaKhatla, 1965 Aizawl, p.52
16. Robert Reid, ‘ The Excluded Areas of Assam’. The Geographical Journal Vol. 103, No. 1/2 (Jan. – Feb., 1944),p.18
17. Lalchungnunga . “Mizoram Politics of Regionalism and National Integration”. Reliance Publishing House, 1994. New Delh, pp.44-46
18. H. Vanlawma. “Mizoram Politics Chanchin (1952 hmalam)”. Published by Mrs. Vanlalmawii, 2001. Aizawl,p.59
19. R. Zamawia (Defence Minister, MNA) interviewed in 2016 at Tanhril. Aizawl
20. Jagadish K. Patnaik. “Mizoram: Dimensions and Perspectives (Society, Economy and Polity)”. Concept Publishing Company, 2008. New Delhi,p.11.
21. See-http://mzuir.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/123456789/669/1/ LALMUANA%20GUITE,%20Pol.sc.pdf accessed on 27.7.2020
22. See- file:///C:/Users/PC/Downloads/MIZORAM%20DEVELOPMENT %20OF%20POLITICAL-ADMINISTRATIVE%20SYSTEM.pdf accessed on 27.7.2020
23. C. Lalkhawliana Ex-MNA) interviewed in 2016 at Chanmari, Aizawl
24. Lalchungnunga, interviewed in 2016 at SarawnVeng, Aizawl.
25. Dr. L. Gyananda Singh, ‘Two Decades of Turmoil and Peace in Mizoram’. International Journal of Advance Research in Management and Social Science, October (2016). Vol.5/ No.10
26. See-http://mizoram.nic.in/about/history.htm accessed on 25.7.2020
27. Rochungnunga(Ex-MNA)interview in 2016 at Sarawn veng, Aizawl.
28. Pu Bualhranga (Ex- MNA) interview at Aizawl 2016.
29. Rev. C.L Hminga. “Remna Lal Hnung Zuiin”. Ramzotlang, Lunglei. Mizoram
30. Rev. R. Lalrinsanga(Ex-MNA) interviewed in 2016 at Mualpui, Aizawl.
31. C. LalawmpuiaVancheu(2014). Rambuai Literature. Pulished by Lengchawn Press, Aizawl, Mizoram. p166
32. The MNF submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister, President and Vice President telling them political solution of our demands. We even sign letter of loyalty to Assam Government and Indian Government but all our efforts were in void. Instead they made a secret plan to curbed MNF by arresting all our important leaders. We already knew the intension of the Government when they send 18th Assam Rifle Regiment in Mizoram.
33. See- https://www.satp.org/satporgtp/publication/faultlines/volume4/ Fault 4-JafaF1.htm access on 15.02.2020
34. When Rev. Lalngurauva resides at Paikhai, someone wrote in his wall ‘Ngurauva should stop preaching peace within Indian Union and he should also never accompany the Indian Intelligent Officer’.
35. Rev. Lalngurauva interview in 2016 at Mission Veng, Aizawl.
36. Lalsangliana(Ex-MNA) interview in 2016 at Kanan Veng, Aizawl.
37. Rochungnunga interviewed in 2016 at Sarawn Veng, Aizawl.
38. R. Zamawia(2012) .ZofateZinkawngah (Zalenna Mei a Mit Tur a Bi Lo). Published by R. Zamawia, Tanhril. Mizoram,p.741
39. See-http://22.214.171.124:8080/jspui/bitstream/10603/60417/12/12_ chapter % 205.pdf accessed on 27.7.2020
40. Rev. R. Lalrinsanga. “ZKHC in RemnaPalaiHna a Thawh Dan”. Published by Mizoram KohhranHruaitute Committee, Aizawl. Mizoram,p.27
41. R. Rothuama. “Mizoram Remna leh Muanna Intran Dan Leh a Kal Zel Dan”. Published by Dr. Sarah Ralte, 2016. Khatla, Aizawl,pp.18-21
42. See-https://www.pewforum.org/2017/05/10/religious-belief-and-national-belonging-in-central-and-eastern-europe/ access on 13.02.2020