In this era of technological breakthroughs, increasing uncertainties and great scientific advances, where workers are compelled to work in their job whether they like it or not, there is a paradigm in the spiritual believes of the employees at the workplace as their values and attitudes have been taken over by their temptations to measure their worth in terms of their income and possessions. Today employees feel more pressured, demotivated, frustrated in comparison to the times earlier. Thus, there is an even more need for integration of workplace spirituality within an organization now than earlier. This paper focuses on the changing spiritual trend in the present competitive environment imposed by organizations due to its changing career aspirations, vision and mission and means to overcome these lofty objectives in line with people’s deepest spiritual beliefs and values. The capitalism concept that has degraded the cultural values, religious beliefs and traditions, should be aligned with the human-being’s virtues, strengths and goodness. The purpose of this research paper is to explore the current scenario of workplace spirituality in the 21st century in the Indian context, and is intended to develop and implement a framework for successful implementation of spirituality at work. It also stresses on the need to bring humanism back in the workplace that was overthrown by the corporate greed for profit.
Cite this article:
Aashima Gaba. Changing Spiritual Paradigm- Why It Matters Even More Today. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2020; 11(4):287-294. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2020.00046.7
Aashima Gaba. Changing Spiritual Paradigm- Why It Matters Even More Today. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2020; 11(4):287-294. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2020.00046.7 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-4-5
1. Ahmadi, S., Nami, Y., and Barvarz, R. (2014). The Relationship between Spirituality in the Workplace and Organizational Citizenship Behavior. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 114, 262–264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.12.695
2. Albuquerque, I. F., Cunha, R. C., Martins, L. D., and Sá, A. B. (2014). Primary health care services: workplace spirituality and organizational performance. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 27(1), 59-82. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOCM-11-2012-0186
3. Altaf, A., and Awan, M. A. (2011). Moderating affect of workplace spirituality on the relationship of job overload and job satisfaction. Journal of Business Ethics, 104(1), 93-99. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-0891-0
4. Ashmos, D. P., and Duchon, D. (2000). Spirituality at Work: A Conceptualization and Measure. Journal of Management Inquiry, 9(2), 134–145. https://doi.org/10.1177/105649260092008
5. Bell, E., and Taylor, S. (2003). The Elevation of Work: Pastoral Power and the New Age Work Ethic. Organization, 10(2), 329–349. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1350508403010002009
6. Cavanagh, G. F. (1999). Spirituality for managers: Context and critique. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 12(3), 186-199. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534819910273793
7. Chen, C. Y., and Yang, C. F. (2012). The impact of spiritual leadership on organizational citizenship behavior: A multi-sample analysis. Journal of Business Ethics, 105, 107–114. https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s10551-011-0953-3
8. Crawford, A., Hubbard, S. S., Lonis-Shumate, S. R., and O’Neill, M. (2008). Workplace Spirituality and Employee Attitudes within the Lodging Environment. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 8(1), 64–81. https://doi.org/10.1080/ 15332840802274445
9. Daniel, J. L. (2010). The effect of workplace spirituality on team effectiveness. Journal of Management Development. https:// doi.org/10.1108/02621711011039213
10. Driscoll, C., and Wiebe, E. (2007). Technical Spirituality at Work: Jacques Ellul on Workplace Spirituality. Journal of Management Inquiry, 16(4), 333–348. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 1056492607305899
11. Duchon, D., and Plowman, D. A. (2005). Nurturing the spirit at work: Impact on work unit performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 16(5), 807-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua. 2005.07.008
12. Fanggidae, R. E., Suryana, Y., and Efendi, N. (2016). Effect of a Spirituality Workplace on Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction (Study on the Lecturer of Private Universities in the Kupang City-Indonesia). Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 219, 639-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro. 2016.05.045
13. Forray, J. M., and Stork, D. (2002). All for One: A Parable of Spirituality and Organization. Organization, 9(3), 497–509. https://doi.org/10.1177/135050840293014
14. Fox, M. (1994). The reinvention of work: A new vision of livelihood for our time. Harper San Francisco.
15. Garcia‐Zamor, J. C. (2003). Workplace spirituality and organizational performance. Public Administration Review, 63(3), 355-363. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6210.00295
16. Jurkiewicz, C. L., and Giacalone, R. A. (2004). A values framework for measuring the impact of workplace spirituality on organizational performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 49(2), 129-142. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BUSI.0000015843.22195.b9
17. Karakas, F. (2010). Spirituality and performance in organizations: A literature review. Journal of Business Ethics, 94(1), 89-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-009-0251-5
18. Kelloway, E. K., Gottlieb, B., Barham, E., and Daly, K. J. (1999). Flexible work arrangements: managing the work-family boundary. The Canadian Journal of Infancy and Early Childhood, 7(4), 423.
19. King, P. E., and Boyatzis, C. J. (2004). Exploring adolescent spiritual and religious development: Current and future theoretical and empirical perspectives. Applied Developmental Science, 8(1), 2-6. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532480XADS0801_1
20. Kinjerski, V. M., and Skrypnek, B. J. (2004). Defining spirit at work: Finding common ground. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 17(1), 26–42. https://doi.org/10.1108/ 09534810410511288
21. Lewis, D. E. (2001). Workplace spirituality moves up on agenda. Boston Globe, G1.
22. Lips-Wiersma, M., Lund Dean, K., and Fornaciari, C. J. (2009). Theorizing the Dark Side of the Workplace Spirituality Movement. Journal of Management Inquiry, 18(4), 288–300. https://doi.org/ 10.1177/1056492609339017
23. McCormick, D.W. (1994). Spirituality and Management, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 9(6), 5-8. https://doi.org/10.1108/ 02683949410070142
24. Milliman, J., Czaplewski, A. J., and Ferguson, J. (2003). Workplace spirituality and employee work attitudes: An exploratory empirical assessment. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 16(4), 426-447. https://doi.org/10.1108/ 09534810310484172
25. Mitroff, I. I., and Denton, E. A. (1999). A study of spirituality in the workplace. MIT Sloan Management Review, 40(4), 83
26. Movassagh, M. T., and Oreizi, H. R. (2014). Multiple relationships between perceived organizational justice and workplace spirituality with organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Psychology.
27. Nasurdin, A. M., Nejati, M., and Mei, Y. K. (2013). Workplace spirituality and organizational citizenship behaviour: Exploring gender as a moderator. South African Journal of Business Management, 44(1), 61-74.
28. Novak, M. (1997). Business as calling. The American Enterprise, 8(4), 59-61.
29. Nur, Y. A., and Organ, D. W. (2006). Selected Organizational Outcome Correlates of Spirituality in the Workplace. Psychological Reports, 98(1), 111–120. https://doi.org/10.2466/ pr0.98.1.111-120
30. Oswick, C. (2009). Burgeoning workplace spirituality? A textual analysis of momentum and directions. Journal of management, spirituality and religion, 6(1), 15-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/ 14766080802648615
31. Pandey, A. (2017). Workplace Spirituality: Themes, Impact and Research Directions. South Asian Journal of Human Resources Management, 4(2), 212–217. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 2322093717732630
32. Pandey, A., and Gupta, R. K. (2008). Spirituality in management: A review of contemporary and traditional thoughts and agenda for research. Global Business Review, 9(1), 65–83. https://doi.org/ 10.1177/097215090700900105
33. Pawar, B. S. (2009). Some of the recent organizational behavior concepts as precursors to workplace spirituality. Journal of Business Ethics, 88(2), 245. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-008-9961-3
34. Pirkola, H., Rantakokko, P., and Suhonen, M. (2016). Workplace spirituality in health care: an integrated review of the literature. Journal of nursing management, 24(7), 859-868. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/jonm.12398
35. Porth, S. J., Steingard, D., and McCall, J. (2003). Spirituality and business: The latest management fad or the next breakthrough? In O. F. Williams (Ed.), Business, Religion, and Spirituality: A New Synthesis (pp. 249-262). Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame.
36. Rathee, R., and Rajain, P. (2020). Workplace Spirituality: A Comparative Study of Various Models. Jindal Journal of Business Research, 9(1), 27–40. https://doi.org/10.1177/2278682120908554
37. Rego, A., and Cunha, M. P. E. (2008). Workplace spirituality and organizational commitment: An empirical study. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 21(1), 53–75. https://doi.org /10.1108/09534810810847039
38. Sheep, M. L. (2004). Nailing down gossamer: A valid measure of the person-organization fit of workplace spirituality. Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2004, No. 1, pp. B1-B6). https:// doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2004.13862520
39. Soha, H. M., Osman, A., Salahuddin, S. N., Abdullah, S., and Ramlee, N. F. (2016). The Relationship of Work Influence, Sense of Community and Individual Spirituality towards Organizational Performance. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35, 591–596. https://doi.org/10.1016/s2212-5671(16)00072-1
40. Thakur, K., and Singh, J. (2016). Spirituality at workplace: A conceptual framework. Int J Appl Bus Econ Res, 14(7), 5181-9.
41. Usman, A., and Danish, R. Q. (2010). Spiritual consciousness in banking managers and its impact on job satisfaction. International Business Research, 3(2), 65.
42. Vasconcelos, A. F. (2015). The spiritually-based organization: A theoretical review and its potential role in the third millennium. Cadernos Ebape. Br, 13(1), 183-205.