Global competition and economic liberalization, quality has become one of the important factors in achieving competitive advantages. The quality and its continuous advancement have developed a significant meaning for todays' business. Purpose of this study was to examine the impact of Quality Management Practices on Export Performance of Ethiopian Textile and Garment exporters. A five point Likert scale questionnaire was used as the key instrument of data collection and data were obtained from 20 apparel exporters. Eight dimensions were used to measure Quality Management including Leadership, Customer Focus, Engagement of People, Process Approach, Partnership and Resource, Policy and Strategy, Evidence Based Decision Making and Continuous Improvement. The descriptive analysis, correlation and regression analysis were used to examine the impact of Quality Management on Export Performance and the relationship between Quality Management and Export Performance. Results of the study clearly indicated that all dimensions except Partnership and Resource were significantly correlated with Export Performance. In addition, Leadership, Customer Focus, engagement of people and Continuous Improvement were found as the most significant dimensions that impact on export performance.
Cite this article:
Henock Alemu Nega. Quality Management in Export of Textile and Garment Manufacturing in Ethiopia. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(1):29-7. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00006
Henock Alemu Nega. Quality Management in Export of Textile and Garment Manufacturing in Ethiopia. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022;13(1):29-7. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00006 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-1-6
1. Aaby and Slater, S.F. (1989). Management Influence on Export Performance: A Review of Empirical Litrarure. International Market Review, Vol. 6(4) 7-23.
2. Abdulrahman Alsughayir. (2013). Impact of quality practices on productivity and profitability. American Journal of Business and Management, Vol.2, No.4,pp 340-346.
3. Ahmad M.F, Zakuan, N.and Jusoh. (2013). Review of relationship between total quality management and business performance. Applied Machines and Materials, 166-315.
4. Ali B. Jaafreh, Abedalfattah Z. Al-abedallat. (2013). The effect of Quality Management Practice on Organizational Performance in Jordan. An Empirical study: International Journal of Financial Research, Vol. 4(1).
5. Barnes, Frank. (2000). Good Business Sense: Is the Key to Confronting ISO 9000? Review of Business.
6. Bass, B.M. (1995). The ethics of transformational leadership. Westport: praeger.
7. Bayraktar, E. and Tatiglu, E. and Zaim, S. (2008). An instrument for measuring the critical factor of total quality management in Turkish higher education. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, Vol. 19(6) pp.4-16.
8. Besterfield, D.H. (2000). Quality Control (6th edition). Upper Saddle River NJ: Prentice Hall.
9. Bharati,S. (2017). Study on Employee Motivation at J.V.M Textiles Pvt. Ltd. Perur, Karur District. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2017-8-4-40 DOI: 10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00184.6
10. Brah, S. A., Wong,J.L. and Rao, B.M. (2000). Total Quality Management and Business Performance in service sector: Singapore. International Journal of operation and production management, Vol.20(11) pp 1293-1312.
11. Cadogan, J. W. and Diamantopoulos, A. (1995). The Market Orientation Construct: Integration and Internationalization. Journal of Strategic Marketing, vol. 3, pp. 41-60.
12. Calvusgil, S.T. and Zou, S. (1994). Market strategy performance relationship: An investigation of the emperical link in export marketing ventures. Journal of Marketing, 58(1), 1-21.
13. Chong V.K, and Rundus M.J. (2004). Total quality management, market competition and organizational performance. The British Accounting Review, 36, 155-172.
14. Clara Alderin. (2014). Made in Ethiopia: Challenges and Opportunities in the emerging textile industry in Ethiopia. Sweden: Uppsala University: ISSN0283-622X.
15. Crosby P.B. (1984). Quality With Out Tears: The Art of Hassle. New York: McGraw-Hill.
16. Daniel Kitaw and Fasika Bete. (2003). Quality Management: Efforts and problems in Ethiopian Manufacturing Industries. Journal of Ethiopian Economic Association Vol.20, 56.
17. Davis, S.B. (2010). Quality management for organizational excellence: Introduction to Total Quality. Pearson NJ.
18. Defoe, J.A. and Juran, J.M. (2010). Juran's Quality Handbook: the Complete Guide to Performance Excellence. New York: McGraw-Hill.
19. Deshmukh, G. (2012). Talent Management: A Conceptual Framework with Practical Approach https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2012-3-1-11
20. Don Siebels. (2004). The Quality Improvement Glossary. USA: ASQ Quality Press.
21. Dong Y. KIm , V. Kumar and Uma Kumar. (2013). The Relationship Between Quality Practices and Innovation. Journal of Operation Management, Vol. 30(4) 295-315.
22. Dooley Kevin. (2000). The Paradigms of Quality: Evolution and Revolution in the history of discipline. JAL Pree Vol. 5.
23. E. Sadikoglu and H. Olcay. (2014). The effects of Total Quality Management Practice on performance and Reasons and Barriers to Total Quality Management. Hindwawi Publishing Corporation, Vol. 20(14) pp 17.
24. Feigenbaum,A.V. (1961). The Total Quality Control. McGraw-Hill.
25. Field, A. (2006). Discovering Statistics using SPSS 2nd Edition. London: Sage Publication.
26. G.A. Bohoris. (1995). A comparative assessment of some major quality awards. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 12 No. 9, 1995, pp. 30-43.
27. Garvin, D.A. (1987). Competing on the eight dimensions of quality. Harvard Business Review, 101-9.
28. Geyskens, I., Kumar, N. (1996). The effect of trust and interdependence on relationship commitment. International Journal of research in marketing, vol. 13(3) 303-317.
29. Haile Yeshanew and Satya Raju R. (2016). The extent of total quality management practices in Ethiopia manufacturing firms: an emperical evaluation. International Journal of Applied Research, Vol. 2(5): 238-244.
30. Hayes,R.H., and Wheelwright,S.C. (1984). Restoring our competitive ege: Competing
31. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2017-8-3-34 DOI: 10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00092.0
32. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2016-7-2-9 DOI: 10.5958/2321-5763.2016.00019.6
33. John E. Bauer. Graceh Duffy. (2006). The Quality Improvement Hand Book 2nd Edition (American Society for Quality). USA: ASQ Quality press.
34. John E.Bauer, Grace L. Duffy and Russell T.Westcott. (2006). The quality improvement hand book. USA: ASQ Quality Press.
35. John F. Early and O. John Coletti. (1999). The Quality Planning Process. New York:McGraw-Hill.
36. Joseph M. Juran and A. Blanton Godfrey. (1999). Juran's Quality Handbook 5th edition.New York: McGraw-Hill.
37. Joseph M. Juran, A. Blanten Godfrey. (1979). Juran's Quality Hand book. Totonto, USA: McGraw-Hill.
38. Kanji, G.K and Wallace, W. (2000). Business Excellence through Customer Satisfaction. Journal of Total Quality Management, Vol. 11(7) pp 979-998.
39. Katsikeas, C.,Leonidou,L. and Samiee,S. (2000). Marketing Strategy Determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis. Journal of Business Research, Vol.55 (1), 51-67.
40. Kaur,H and Saddy, N. (2013). Recovery Management of Non-Performing Assets of Public and Private Sector Banks.
41. Kumar, D and V. Balakrishnan, V. (2011). A study on ISO 9001 Quality Management System Certifications – Reasons behind the failure of ISO certified Organizations. Anv publication. https://ajmjournal.com/ShowPDF_Paper.aspx
42. Lages,L. F. . (2000). A Conceptual Framework of the Determinants of Export Performnce: Reorganizing Key Variables and Shifting Contingencies in Export Marketing. Journal of Global Marketing, Vol. 13(3), 29-51.
43. Liang-hung and Luan-Yuan Lu. (2006). Product Quality as a Determinant of product innovation. Journal of Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, Vol. 17 No. 2,141-147.
44. Masood ul Hassen and Amna Mukhtar. (2012). Impact of Total Quality Management Practice on Firm's performance of Pakistan's Manufacturing Organizations. International Journal of Acadamic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol.2 No.10, ISSN: 2222-6990.
45. Mazedul Islam and Adnan Maroof Khan. (2013). Application of lean Manufacturing to Higher Productivity in the Apparel Industry in Bangladish. International Journal of scientific and Engineering Research, Vol. 4(2), pp 1-10.
46. McCann and Jack. (2008). Clothing Industry, Competition and Leadership. AdvancedManagement Journal, Vol 73(4).
47. Melani Cammett. (2003). Development and challenging Dynamics of Global Production: Global value chain and local clusters in Apparel Manufacturing. Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Vol. 10 23-48.
48. Murali Krishnan, V. Abirami (2017). Quality of Work Life among Employees in Textile Industry with Reference to Coimbatore District.
49. Naidu, R. (2013). A Review: Quality Management and Their Concepts. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian%20Journal%20of%20Management&PID=2013-4-4-1
50. Panigrahi,A. (2012) Impact of Working Capital Management on Profitability –A Case Study of ACCLtd. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2012-3-4-5
51. Radha,P. (2011). Stress Management. https://ajmjournal.com/ShowPDF_Paper.aspx
52. Sayankar, V. (2013). To Study Quality Management System for Reduction of Quality Cost. https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?Journal=Asian+Journal+of+Management&PID=2013-4-1-7
53. Slack, N., Chambers, S. Johnstone, R. & Betts,A. (2006). Operations and Process Management . London: Prentice Hall.
54. Srinivasan,A. Kurey B. (2014). Creating a Culture of Quality. Harvard Business Review, 92(4) pp 23-25.
55. Standardization, International Organization for. (2016). International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Retrieved August 8, 2016, from International Organization for Standardization (ISO): http://www.ISO.org
56. Tan, K.C & Khoo, H.H . (2002). The Relevance of Confucianism to National Quality Awards in Southeast Asia. International Journal of cross Cultural Management, Vol. 2(1) pp 65-82.
57. Tessema Belay. (2007). Quality Related Problems in Large Ethiopian Manufacturing Firm: Implications for Competency. South Afric Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol.18(1) 53-75.
58. Tricker,R. (2001). ISO 9001: For small Business 3rd edition. Oxford: Bufferworth-Heimemann.
59. Udani,A, Chelliah.S.(2016) Effect of Network to Knowledge and Experience for Internationalization in Garments SMEs of Gujarat.
60. Wade, Jim. (2002). ISO 9000 really a standard? ISO Management Systems.
61. Wikipedia. (2016, May 19). Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Retrieved August 18, 2016, from Wikimedia Foundation Inc.: http://www.wikipedia.org
62. William,G.Z, and Barry J. B. (2010). Essentials of Marketing Research 4th Edition. USA: Cengage Learning.
63. Xayphone & Kongmanila. (2009). Innovation, export performance and profitabiliy of Leo Garment Exporters. Internaional Journal of Economics and management, Vol. 3(2) pp 225-236.
64. Yared Mesfin. (2010). Economic Impact & Determinants of Export: The case of Ethiopian Textile & Apparel Industry. MA,Thesis, Addis Ababa University, 4.