Pallab Ghosh, Papan Mondal, Pintu Masanta
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Pallab Ghosh1, Dr. Papan Mondal2, Pintu Masanta3
1Research Scholar, Dept. of Physical Education, Jadavpur University, Kolkata - 700032, West Bengal, India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Jadavpur University, Kolkata - 32, West Bengal, India.
3M.P.Ed, Dept.of Jadavpur University, Kolkata-32, W.B. India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
Introduction: Advanced technology has allowed biomechanists to gather very accurate measurements of many of the parameters associated with human movement. In sports, vertical jump is very important factors. It is an effective exercise for building both endurance and explosive power and through the vertical jump performance the players take advantage in sports. So here, the present study was to analyze the Mechanical role of arm swing on vertical jump performance. Objective: 1. To know the mechanical role of arm swing and without arm swing on vertical jump performance of university level players of Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India. 2. To know the effect of power on arm swing and without arm swing of vertical jump performance of the university level players of Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India. 3. To find out the relationship between power and arm swing of vertical jump performance of the university level players of Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India. Methodology: 4 Volleyball (20.29±1.38 years, 179±4.54cm and 67±4.34kg), 4 Basketball (23.43±2.57years, 170.57±3.15cm and 62.13±7.58kg) and 4 High Jump (21.75±.95 years, 170.37±3.15cm and 64.75±2.21kg) university (Jadavpur university) level players were selected randomly as the subjects. Results: The result of study revealed that there were significant differences (t-4.17*) between arm swing (56.67±4.86cm) and without arm swing (43.21±4.23) vertical jump performance of high jump players and vertical jump performance of the volleyball and basketball players were found no significant difference but positive effect showed. Also the results showed that in power (ground reaction force) there were no significant differences found between arm swing and without arm swing of the university level players. There were also positive relationship found in Volleyball (r-0.61), Basketball (r- 0.89) and High jump (r- 0.84) University level players between power and arm swing vertical jump performance. Conclusion: Arm swing positively effect on the vertical jump performance for Volleyball, Basketball and High Jump players. Arm swing also positively effect on increased the power which in turn help to increased the jumping height of Volleyball, Basketball and High Jump players. It also concluded that there is positive relationship between power and with arm swing in vertical jump performance.
Cite this article:
Pallab Ghosh, Papan Mondal, Pintu Masanta. Mechanical role of Arm Swing on Vertical Jump Performance. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2021; 12(4):209-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2021.00036
Pallab Ghosh, Papan Mondal, Pintu Masanta. Mechanical role of Arm Swing on Vertical Jump Performance. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2021; 12(4):209-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2021.00036 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-12-4-3
1. Babi Ā et al. (2007) “Vertical Jump: Biomechanical Analysis and Simulation Study” Institute Slovenia Humanoid Robots, New Developments, Book edited by: Armando Carlos de PinaFilho ISBN 978-3-902613-02-8, pp.582, I-Tech, Vienna, Austria, June 2007.
2. BabiĀ, J.; KarĀnik, T. and Bajd, T. (2001). Stability analysis of four-point walking, Gait and Posture, 14, 56-60
3. Clansey A, Lees A (2010) Changes in lower limb joint range of motion on countermovement vertical jumping. International conference of biomechanics in sports.
4. Caulley Mc ,Cormie P et al.(2007) Mechanical efficiency during repetitive vertical jumping. Eur J Appl Physiol.101(1):115-23.
5. Frantisek V., et al.(2016) effect of arm swing on countermovement vertical jump performance in elite volleyball players. J Hum Kinet. 2016 Dec 1;53:41-50
6. G.G. Rodrigo et al.(2014) Effect of squat depth on performance and biomechanical parameters of countermovement vertical jump. RBCDH.
7. Hara M et al.(2008) A comparison of the mechanical effect of arm swing and countermovement on the lower extremities in vertical jumping. Hum Mov Sci. 2008Aug;27(4):636-48.
8. K.B Cheng and Others (2008). The mechanisms that enable arm motion to enhance vertical jump performance-asimulation study. J. Biomech. 2008;41(9):1847-54.
9. Kucharska, Rutkowska- Alicja ( 1998) Take-off structure and touch down loads during landing in selected rhythmic sport gymnastics jumps.
10. Leite W.( 2016) Biomechanical analysis of running in the high jump.
11. Lees A., Vanrenterghem J., De ClercqD..(2004a) Understanding how an arm swing enhances performance in the vertical jump. J Biomech. 2004a;37:1929-1940. [PubMed ][Google Scholar].
12. Lander R William et al. (1996) A biomechanical analysis of the vertical jump and three modified plyometric depth jumps. Journal of strength and conditioning research volume-10.
13. Mccaulley Go, Cormie P, (2007) Mechanical efficiency during repetitive vertical jumping. Eur J ApplPhysiol. Nicholas P Linthorichs (2001) Analysis of standing vertical jumps using a force platform.
14. Struzik A et al.( 2014) Biomechanical analysis of the jump shot in basketball. journal of human kinetics 42:73-79
15. ShadmehraAzadeh et al.(2016) Effect of countermovement and arm swing on vertical stiffness and jumpperformance.
16. Schoenecker J et al. (2007) Optimal angle of knee flexion for maximal vertical jump in division iii collegiateathletes.
17. Vanezis A et al.(2007) A biomechanical analysis of good and poor performers of the vertical jump. journal ergonomics volume-48 pages 1594-1603.
18. Vint and Hinrichs (1996) Differences between one-foot and two-foot vertical jump performances. Journal of applied biomechanics 12(3):338-358.
19. Vaverkafrantisek et al.(2016) effect of an arm swing on countermovement vertical jump performance in elite Volleyball players.J Hum Kinet. 2016dec1;53: 41–50.
20. Wu Lan Wen et al. (2003) Biomechanical analysis of the standing long jump. Biomed engappl basis comm, 15:186-192.