India is a country with an agrarian economy where more than half of the population is involved in agriculture and allied activities. Agriculture is the primary source of livelihood for about seventy percent of India’s population. Of these, rural women cover a wide area. Women in rural India perform a pivotal role both in farm and non-farm activities. They do all the farm work from day to night. But despite all this, they remain deprived in society. They are neglected. They are not given values, wages and dignity despite of their significant contribution in agriculture. In this research article, we have tried to highlight all these aspects and emphasized on numerous challenges that they face in farming. And finally, we have brought out some solutions to overcome those challenges. This study analysed women participation in agricultural production of South 24 parganas, West Bengal, India. In this paper I have tried to discuss the actual role of rural women in agricultural field. This study area maximum no of women laborers is illiterate with no formal educational status which directly informed their participation in agricultural production. Women participation in rural labour markets varies considerably across regions, but invariably women are over represented in unpaid, seasonal and part-time work, and the available evidence suggests that women are often paid less than men for the same work. This paper re-affirms that women make essential contributions to agriculture and rural enterprises across the study area as well as developing world.
Cite this article:
Jagannath Mahato. Role of Women in Agriculture: Socio-Economic Perspective of The Rural Area of West Bengal, India. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2023;14(2):93-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2023.00019
Jagannath Mahato. Role of Women in Agriculture: Socio-Economic Perspective of The Rural Area of West Bengal, India. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2023;14(2):93-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2023.00019 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-14-2-7
1. Achary. M, Bennet. L. (1982): women and the subsistence Sector: Economic participation and household decision making in Nepal, World Bank staff Working paper, Number 526.
2. Behera and Behera (2013). "Gender issue: The role of Women in Agriculture Sector in India". International Journal of Marketing, Financial Service and Management Research, Vol-2, No-9, Sep 15 ISSN: 2277-36
3. Butt. T.M, Hussein, Z, Y, Mahmud. K, Muhammad. S. (2009): Role of rural women in agriculture development and their constraints, pp 1-4.
4. Chayal. K, Dhaka. B.L, Swalka. R.L. (2010): Analysis of Role performed by women in agriculture. Pp 15
5. Cheryl, Doss and SOFA Team (2011, March). "The role of Women in Agriculture". Agricultural Development Economics Division, The FAO, (www.fao.org/economic/esa),
6. Jawali. K. (2009): The role of rural women in agriculture and allied fields. pp 1-7.
7. Kyade and Kyade (2016). "Indian Women in Agriculture". International Academic Journal of Economics, Vol-3, No-2, pp- 1-8, ISSN: 2454-247
8. Mohan, Varsha (2020). "Women - The Unsung Warriors of Indian Agriculture". Dhanuka Agritech Limited, pp 9-11
9. Naikar, Namita and PARI GSP Team (2021, March). "What is the Worth of a Women's Endless Work?". (ruralindiaonline.org) pp 5-14
10. Okwu. O.J, Umoru. B.I. (Dec 2009): A study of women farmer’s agricultural information needs and accessibility. Pp 1-7.
11. Saxena, N.C. (2012). "Women, Land and Agriculture in rural India". UN Women, South Asia Sub Regional Office., (www.unwomensouthasia.org) pp 17-25
12. Srivastava and Srivastava (2017). "Role of Women in Indian Agriculture- Issues and Challenges". Journal of Agroecology and Natural Resource Management, Vol-4, Issue- 1, Jan- March, eISSN: 2394-0794
13. Satyavathi. C.T., Bharadwa., C, Brahmanand P.S. (2010): Role of farm women in agriculture. Pp 1-11.
14. Sharma. S, Dubey. A. Sharma. R. (July 2012): Participation of rural women in agricultural activities: A study of Marh block of Jammu dist. Pp 1-3.
15. Team. S, Doss. C. (Mar2011): The role of women in agriculture. Pp 1-48.