Rama Rao Bonagani
Dr. Rama Rao Bonagani*
Assistant Professor, Department of Public Administration and Policy Studies, #112, Kauveri Block, School of Social Sciences, Central University of Kerala, Tejaswini Hills, Periye (PO), Kasaragod-671316, Kerala, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
This article has investigated whether the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is significant in the South Asia region of Asia continent in the world or not. The SAARC was established on 8th December 1985. It is the regional intergovernmental organization and geopolitical union of states in South Asia. The present SAARC comprises of 8 member states such as Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. It is an economic and political organization in this region. The SAARC countries are of different sizes both geographically as well as population wise and have different resource endowments. With its population, economy and area wise, India is the largest country in the SAARC region. The basic driving force behind an establishment of the SAARC was the desire of the contracting parties for promoting peace, stability, amity and progress in the region through strict adherence to the principles of an United Nations charter and Non-Alignment. The last 19th SAARC summit scheduled was supposed to be held at Islamabad in November 2016, but this was postponed after the terrorist attack at Uri in India. After this incident, the 19th SAARC summit was not held so far.
Cite this article:
Rama Rao Bonagani. The Significance of SAARC in the South Asia Region: A Theoretical Study. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2021; 12(2):93-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2021.00014
Rama Rao Bonagani. The Significance of SAARC in the South Asia Region: A Theoretical Study. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2021; 12(2):93-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2021.00014 Available on: https://www.rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-12-2-6
1. http://saarc-sec.org, accessed on 16-3-2020
2. Nidhi Sharma (2014), Regional Cooperation in South Asia: A Study of Political and Economic Dimensions Of SAARC, Delhi, Kalpaz Publications
3. Sudhir Kumar Singh (editor) (2011), Handbook of SAARC: Sixteenth Summit and Beyond, New Delhi, Pentagon Press
4. https://www.google.com, accessed on 28-07-2020
5. Kher, R.S. (2012), SAARC: Political and Economic Aspects, New Delhi, Wisdom Press
6. Muni S.D and RajshreeJetly Chapter on “SAARC Prospects: The Changing Dimensions” in The Emerging Dimensions of SAARC, edited by Muni S. D (2011), Delhi, Cambridge University Press (Foundation Books publication)
7. Sudhakar E. (2009), SAARC: Origin, Growth and Future, New Delhi, Gyan Publishing House
8. http://www.sdfsec.org, accessed on 17-3-2020.
9. Amitabh Mattoo (2020), “From Virtual Conferencing to real leadership”, The Hindunews paper, Kozhikode, Tuesday, dated on 17-3-2020.
10. http://saarc-sec.org/saarc-charter,accessed on 18-3-2020.
11. http://saarc-sec.org/saarc-charter, accessed on 23-7-2020
12. SAARC Development Fund(2016and2017), SAARC, SAARC Development Fund: “Promoting regional integration and cooperation through project collaboration” Annual Report 2016 and 2017, published by SAARC Development Fund, Thimphu, Bhutan. Retrieved from http://www.sdfsec.org/sites/default/files/ Annual%20Report%202016%20%26%202017.pdf
13. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/human-resource-development-and-tourism/click-for-details_3.,accessed on 19-3-2020
14. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/agriculture-and-rural-development/click-for-details_4, accessed on 19-3-2020
15. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/environment-natural-disasters-and-biotechnology/click-for-details_6 , accessed on 19-3-2020
16. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/economic-trade-and-finance/click-for-details_7, accessed on 19-3-2020
17. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/social-affairs/click-for-details_8, accessed on 19-3-2020
18. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/information-and-poverty-alleviation/click-for-details_9, accessed on 19-3-2020
19. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/energy-transport-science-and-technology/click-for-details_10, accessed on 19-3-2020
20. http://saarc-sec.org/areas_of_cooperation/area_detail/education-security-and-culture/click-for-details_11, accessed on 19-3-2020
21. http://saarc-sec.org/saarc-summits, accessed on 18-3-2020
22. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_SAARC_summit,accessed on 18-3-2020.
23. http://www.sdfsec.org/about-sdf, accessed on 18-3-2020
24. http://www.sdfsec.org/our_focus, accessed on 18-3-2020
25. http://www.sdfsec.org/project-search, accessed on 18-3-2020
26. The Hindunews paper, Kozhikode, Monday, dated on 16-3-2020 .